Saturday, June 21, 2008

My Upcycled Studio Space


My studio
Originally uploaded by smashgirl
When I first started making mosaics I used to use my kitchen table. As my supplies multiplied I really needed a space of my own. Tucked away in my garage I've managed to carve out a niche for myself. In California garage space is at a premium, we have no basements and outdoor toys such as surfboards( 7 or so), sports equipment, (two active boys), bikes, and the laundry area are all crammed into one spot!
I'm very proud to say that everything in my studio has been made from recycled materials. The main storage unit with the drawers started out as an old hand-me-down dresser that my husband had in his apartment when he was single. When I had our first son, he painted it to match the baby's room and we used it for both of the boys. It now houses plates, nippers, glue, and many other things I use all in one spot.
The drop down work area was once a desk top in my son's room. We used door hinges from our old front door so it can be pushed up and out of the way when I'm not using it.
That big comfy black office chair belonged to someone in the neighborhood and was sitting out on the curb calling out my name!
Look closely and you'll see my "The End of the Day" mosaic while it was a work in progress. Some day when my kids go off to college I'll move my studio into the house, but for now this is a great spot!
Click here for a more detailed picture!

No comments: